Swiss work and residence permits - October 2020
22 October 2020
COVID-19: Who is still not permitted to enter Switzerland?
The continued ban on entry to Switzerland applies to foreign nationals who want to travel to Switzerland from a high-risk country for a stay of up to three months:
- Persons who wish to obtain services in Switzerland.
- Tourists, visitors and participants in events.
- Persons who wish to come to Switzerland for medical treatment that has not yet begun or that is not regarded as urgently required.
- Persons seeking employment or who have been invited for a job interview in Switzerland.
- Persons who wish to submit an application for a residence permit.
Outcome of 'Moderate immigration' vote
The initiative to reduce immigration was launched by the Swiss People's party (SVP Schweizerische Volkspartei) to enable Switzerland to control its immigration completely autonomously.
The text called for article 121b to be added to the Constitution which excludes any treaty on the free movement of persons.
On September 27 the Swiss citizens voted not to limit immigration or end the Free Movement of persons and the Bilateral Agreements. There will therefore be no changes to the agreement concluded in 1999 with the European Union.
Almost 60 percent of the Swiss population voted and there was an overriding result of 62 percent of people who voted against the initiative.